Shirley Burger

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I've used the Dover book "Tatting for Today" for a long time. The red, white, and green ornament is done in #30 thread with red crystal seed beads tatted in with the pattern. It measures 3 1/4 " sq.

The green triangle is from the same book. It is tatted with #30 thread also, with tiny silver metal beads. It measures 2 1/2" from point to point.

The beadwork is done by my own design.


The pink motif, or small doily, is from my Japanese tatting book. The thread is DMC pearl cotton #815 maroon, #818 pale pink, and #3326 dark pink in size 8. The beads in the centers of the circles are 1/4" silver tube beads. The original pattern called for 6 seed beads where i have substituted 2 tube
beads. The piece measures 6" in diameter.


The angel is from Martha Ess' tatting page and is Joyce's Angel. She is tatted with J.C. Coats Best six cord thread size 30. I had trouble finding any gold thread and finally ended up using 4 strands of DMC metallic gold floss.
This was very difficult to work with and, only with the help of two friends, was I able to separate the strands and get it in a shuttle.
It did end up looking acceptable.

3 Comments:

At November 16, 2008 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are all beautiful! I love the red, white and green ornament and the pink one is breathtaking as well! :)

 
At November 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM , Blogger LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

These are ALL really lovely motifs!
Great tatting. Thank you for sharing.

 
At November 20, 2008 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Kathy Niklewicz said...

Hi Shirley! I'm completely blown away by your beautiful tatting and especially your blogging! I'm 'only' 64 and find this world of computers both amazing and frustrating. I have been typing on computers since 1981 but don't understand what goes on 'under the hood' so to speak. I think it can be intimidating. And here you are at 81 creating a blog! Congratulations!!!!

I love your angel - she's beautiful! I want to let you know that DMC's gold thread that comes on a spool (in the cross-stitch section of craft shops) is excellent for tatting! I even wrote to DMC to ask them to never stop making it! I used it in my recent posts about ornaments and paperweights, and have had great success with it for earrings. I also used it on my gold butterfly (Oct. 17 post) which is a bigger motif. It's equivalent to size 30 and stands up very well to tugging and pulling. I do use a bit of a looser tension with it, however.
Congratulations again on your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home